Maptive’s tools all build on the foundation of a basic dot distribution map to formulate more complex data analysis without bogging you down in numbers or code.
What is a Pin Map?
A pin map, also known as a dot distribution map, is a type of visualization that takes your location data and plots each data point as an individual marker on a map. Pin maps have a large number of applications including:
- Visualizing customer or store locations
- Identifying commercial real estate prospects by category
- Laying out steps in a supply chain
- Displaying large map data sets for research purposes
If you work with a particularly expansive data set, Maptive allows you to build cluster maps, which are pin maps that aggregate individual pins to make busy maps more visually accessible.
Within Maptive, each pin has a text box pop-up with additional information that appears when you click on the marker: these pop-ups are completely customizable and contain information like customer name, salesperson, address, website, custom attributes, etc.
How To Create a Pin Map
Develop actionable insights for your business, marketing department, research project, or personal adventures. Imagine how useful this could be as a tool for voter polling, mapping out migratory patterns of particular species, or clarifying areas of weakness for your company. The possibilities are endless.
Make Your Own Dot Distribution Map:
- Sign up for our free trial.
- Upload your location data from an Excel or Google Sheets spreadsheet or your own CRM. Or copy and paste your data.
- Select: CREATE MAP. Your data will populate in your new map.
Once you’ve created your dot visualization map, take it to the next level. Customize the appearance of your map, analyze your data with our many additional tools, or add a new layer to your map.
How to Customize Your Pins
Once you create your initial map, there are many ways to change the pins on your map so they look exactly the way you want. Use the 17 built-in Maptive options for different pin styles and sizes, change the color of your pins, or add labels to your pins. Even upload your own custom map pin images for branded maps (or for personal flair)!
Here is how you do it:
- Click on the “Settings” gear button in the upper left corner of your map.
- Click on Map Markers/Graphics.
- Use the Map Markers dropdown to choose one of Maptive’s default marker types or scroll down to the “Customize All Markers” option to upload your own marker graphic or further customize pin colors and labels.
There are other ways to customize your maps as well: consider changing the base map style to make it better match your markers, branding, or a presentation.
Maptive Tools for Pin Maps
Zip Code Boundary Maps
Are you ready to create your own custom maps with pins? Start your free trial with Maptive today.
Start mapping now!
Just follow these simple steps:
Copy & Paste OR Drag & Drop
your data set here.
OR you can Upload My File
Double Click then Copy & Paste
Drag and drop
your data here