Create beautiful, colorful, and insightful maps with Maptive’s grouping tool. When you first upload your location data to a mapping software platform like Maptive, you likely want some color differentiation between data points. All pins are uploaded with a single default color, so your data can appear homogenous. Within a few clicks, the grouping tool color codes your pins in a data visualization based on any category or column in your original spreadsheet.
Color Code Maps in Seconds
Want to use different colors to differentiate pins? You’ve come to the right place. Maptive’s grouping tool automatically sorts map markers into a range of colors based on the category you choose. Some common options include grouping pins by state, zip code, salesperson, or custom attribute.
Custom attributes are particularly powerful: create categories for your customers and prospects, organize real estate offerings by zoning restrictions, or label each step in your supply chain.
Immediately see the difference between a standard map without individual colors and one with the grouping tool applied with different marker colors for each state below. The colors pop so you can see trends and patterns among different states, whether you plan to use your maps for presentations or data analysis.
What Else Can I Do With The Marker Grouping Tool?
- Customize map markers. The marker grouping tool allows you to select the style and color of the markers that you define in your data. You can even upload a custom marker and use that to represent a group. Using this feature, create branded maps or thematic maps with multiple company logos representing distinct groups of markers. Find out more.
- View one group of markers at a time. Grouping your data gives you the power to filter the markers on your map quickly. By clicking on all the marker groups that you want to see you can create a custom map that just shows the locations you need to see now: see one individual state or select markers in a specific category. You can take this one step further using the Filter Tool.
- Identify trends in data with ease. Groups appear live on your map as soon as you create them, which can be incredibly beneficial during times when you need to quickly identify opportunities or areas of your business that require your attention.
- Access the grouping tool in 1-click. Group your data conveniently within your map. There’s no need to make changes to your spreadsheet data to identify trends. The process is simple: click into the Grouping Tool, create your groups, click done, and view your grouped data in real-time in your map.
How to Color Code a Map With the Grouping Tool
Step 1: Sign up for a Maptive free trial or account. Learn about our plans here.
Step 2: Upload your data: use an Excel spreadsheet, Google sheets, your own CRM, or just copy and paste.
Step 3: Select “Create Map,” and Maptive will plot your data for you.
Step 4: Once your markers appear on the map, select the Grouping Tool from your toolkit on the left. Select the column you wish to group by (pulled from your data).
Step 5: Now it’s up to you. You can leave your grouped map as-is, your markers, or select specific areas or groups to filter with the checkboxes on the left.
How Does the Grouping Tool Work With Maptive’s Other Tools?
After you finish playing around with the grouping tool, explore Maptive’s other mapping tools to further enhance your map.
- Color-code territories as well as markers with our heat map generator and territory tools. Add more map layers by creating territories based on country, state, or zip code boundaries. Use fills or the heat map functionality to display sales or population density.
- The demographic mapping tool combines census data with your own information to create insightful maps with a view into your customer base. Group areas by age, population, median household income, and more.
- Filter data with the filter tool. While similar to the grouping tool, the filter tool allows you to segment data based on a wider range of values. Only include values within a particular numerical range or display all locations that have a distinct role in your supply chain.
Are you ready to start your free trial? Sign up for Maptive here.